In Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Moses told the nation of Israel, “And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments and statutes of the LORD, which I am commanding you today for your good?”
Those “requirements” apply to us today as well. If we truly want to know God and have fellowship with Him, we must:
1. Fear God – Have a reverential respect and awe for Who He Is – Almighty God
2. Walk in All His Ways – Follow the narrow path, the path laid out before us by His Word
3. Love Him – Our love for Him should eclipse ALL other loves and desires
4. Serve Him With All Our Heart and Soul – Serving Him should be a joy and delight, and we should put everything we have into doing just that
5. Keep His Commandments – Jesus said, “If you love me, You WILL keep my commandments”
Just because Moses is recorded in Scripture giving these “requirements” to the nation of Israel, doesn’t mean that God doesn’t require the same of us today! All we have to do is read His Word, and we’ll find the same is expected of us if we want to be a real Christian! Salvation is by faith alone, but real salvation will result in a changed life, and these are the requirements and expectations of that changed heart and life!